Thursday, 12 September 2013

Nottingham

Today was another long day in Nottingham! Last night we all went out to a pub called the Lion, which has their quiz night on Wednesday! Bob (our program director) treated us all to the first round of drinks, which was excellent. He is so nice and so sweet—I am so lucky to have him as the director!

Today we were exploring the city center and were there basically all day. Nottingham is a fascinating city, the architecture is beautiful and there are so many interesting places with amazing stories. I’m really glad we had the time today to go off on our own and do our own exploring. I have a pretty good sense of direction, but it always makes me feel a bit more secure to actually walk the streets. During our wandering we found our first ever red telephone booth! I actually forgot to take a picture in one last time I was here… sorry for sucking at being a tourist.


We had a walking tour with a delightful tour guide, Chris, who knew so much about the history of the city and surrounding area. Nottingham really seems great and I’m really looking forward to getting to know the city center better. 

Nottingham city center, Old Market Square

One of the streets in the Lace Market

It’s a pretty quick bus ride (about 15 minutes) from our flat, and there are bus stops a block away that get you direct into the center. Tonight we had our first fish and chips! It was greasy and delicious and wonderfully British. I was almost finished with this post and then someone said they had gotten into the library, which is inside the church below the flat. Totally nerded out!!! So many books to read! I picked out a couple that look pretty good. I really miss reading books for fun and am definitely having some separation anxiety with my books at home. But I’m super excited for the books that I can read now!

Tomorrow we’re doing a day trip to Haddon Hall and Chatsworth House, both two places I’ve been hoping to go to since my last trip! I’ve finalized all my plans for my trip to London this weekend, and I can’t wait to get back to all my people! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment