Friday, 20 September 2013

Orientation Week

So I guess more happened this week besides my 21st birthday, but that was obviously the most important event. I'll be continuing my 21st birthday until I get back home to the USA in June, of course. This week (starting on Tuesday, my birthday) we were staying on campus at the University of Nottingham for the International Student Orientation. There are several different campuses but the one we were staying on (and where I’m pretty sure most of my classes will be) is the biggest one, called University Park. It’s a pretty big campus and getting around the first day or two of orientation was a little confusing. But! It’s a beautiful campus and I’m looking forward to spending more time there when it’s not raining.
The Trent Building, by the lake

The Downs, in the middle of campus

We mainly had a lot of meetings (some of which were helpful, some of which were not) during the mornings, and then more optional activities. I spent a lot of time walking around the campus during the afternoons. For my best friend Sigrid: I think I finally understand how great you felt during that one super long walk at Hatfield House two years ago! Walks are great. I'm really learning to love them. We all met some people and it was really interesting to see just how many different countries and majors are represented at the university. There are so many people from all over the world! The University of Nottingham has campuses in China and Malaysia, so there were a lot of people from there, especially from China. It was also interesting meeting so many postgraduates and people doing their Masters. Going to an undergrad-only school, you really don’t meet a lot of people who can tell you about grad school and what they're actually planning to do with their lives.

Anyway, it felt like we were on campus for forever, and so we convinced Bob to open the flat early today after we were done with registration. After that we were running errands all afternoon, mainly getting our bus passes! I had to get a bunch of other random toiletries and got a city library card. Tonight we had cake to celebrate my birthday, only a few days late! Tonight we’re having a 90s jam sesh, tomorrow we’re having ladies night and going clubbing! Registration for classes is on Monday. The first day of classes is also on Monday. Interesting. I am not happy. Too stressful. As someone who loves plans, schedules, routines, this is really hard for me. School is fucking up my life and isn’t offering one of my dream classes, but if everything works I should still be okay credit wise with the classes I’m hoping to take! I’m really stressed/anxious about everything, but there’s nothing I can do about it now. Hopefully Monday goes well! Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the first day of classes, Maja! Katie and I miss you a ton! (And I'm assuming everyone else, but they're not here right now).

    ReplyDelete